I got inspiration from the tabletop RPG Call of Cthulhu. No specific goal, except carrying out a very simple modeling task, just for the sake of playing in my spare time.

12 june 2006

First render (Yafray), modeling still WIP, around 2 hours of work.

ChoseTresAncienne-WIP-001.png

Wireframe (no SubSurf, 2767 faces):

ChoseTresAncienne-WIP-001-wire.png

The crease splitting the creature in half is not surprising: some artefact from the Mirror modifier. I will get rid of it on a later stage. Some cleanup to do on the tentacles.

13 June 2006

Minor update. I added "arms" and "eyes". I tried to give to arms an organic shape, I will rework the body accordingly on a later stage. The wings are still missing but should be available within a few days.

ChoseTresAncienne-WIP-002.png

13 August 2006

After a long quiet period, I took over this WIP again and cleaned the mesh. Still have to rework the arms. 1331 faces to this day.

ChoseTresAncienne-WIP-004.pngChoseTresAncienne-WIP-004-wire-front.pngChoseTresAncienne-WIP-004-wire-side.pngChoseTresAncienne-WIP-004-wire-top.pngChoseTresAncienne-WIP-004-wire-optimal-camera.pngChoseTresAncienne-WIP-004.png

15 August 2006

Making this model somehow interesting is not an easy task. I'm starting to turn it into something different that some "tropical plant". I resized the eyes, and playes with its claws. The model is now 1125 faces.

ChoseTresAncienne-WIP-005-wire-front.pngChoseTresAncienne-WIP-005-wire-side.pngChoseTresAncienne-WIP-005-wire-top.pngChoseTresAncienne-WIP-005-wire-optimal-camera.pngChoseTresAncienne-WIP-005.png

15 August 2006 (bis)

Small update (no time, today). Reworked again on the claws, but not sure about modeling the wings: they are retractable, and the scene I'm planning won't make use of them.

ChoseTresAncienne-WIP-006-wire-optimal-camera.png

I will soom try to tackle rigging and skinning.

19 August 2006

Rigging and skinning of the claws is done. Rigging for the head is ready but IK is still missing ; the eyes are targeting an Empty that I can place anywhere in the scene...

Just a little pose attempt, to show progresses.

A screen capture to show what has been done on the rigging side:

ChoseTresAncienne-WIP-008-testpose-screen.png

And now a small render, because this creature doesn't want you any harm ;)

ChoseTresAncienne-WIP-008-testpose-render.png


Article written on August the 19th, 2006.
Updated on July the 18th, 2010: .blend file added.